Thursday, June 5, 2008

Let's Get Caught Up...

I'll start off playing catch-up with some of my photos from my Salton Sea/Joshua Tree trip from
January.

Here's Becca, at the top of Mt. Ryan.

This is one of my photo-mates, Paul. Dressed up like a robot climbing a rock in Joshua Tree. Don't ask.


I found the Salton Sea the most inspiring, although I think I'll have more ideas for my next trip to Joshua Tree now that I'm familiar with it. Some places just require more time in the particular atmosphere.

This was on our way home to LA county, stopping around the Yucca Valley area where's there are all these solar-powered (I think) windmills. Just hills and hills of them. Amazing.


Next would be when I decided to make my final project for my documentary class about the California missions. Or at least the ones I could make it to. I started off at the end of March with San Juan Capistrano, "jewel of the missions". I probably haven't been here in over 10 years, but after visiting and re-visiting 8 of the SoCal missions, SJC really is the most beautiful.

Here's Diana in front of an outdoor stagelike structure. Kinda reminds me of the photo by Annie Leibowitz of Susan Sontag in front of Petra.






After SJC, I started off spring break by visiting the fam in San Diego,which gave me the perfect opportunity to visit San Luis Rey in Oceanside. I sound macabre,but you'll soon see how I have a fetish for graveyards, and SLR has a pretty nice one.






After SLR, the real trip began...San Buenaventura, Santa Ines, Santa Barbara, and La Purisima





Another nice cemetery...this one at Santa Ines.










Santa Barbara grounds and cemetery.


La Purisima is so unique...for one thing,it's main building is bright pink. Plus it's in this long shape in the middle of a field, not any city sights nearby. It also still keeps farm animals running around.


La Purisima was the last mission I visited during spring break. I visited 2 more during April and May to round out my project.

OK...well, this will have to be Part I for now. It's late and I've got an interview tomorrow. I'll try to post about San Gabriel and San Fernando, as well as my travel plans for the near future, tomorrow.

No comments: